The Australian Autumn Racing Carnival has come and gone for another year, but that doesn’t mean racing goes into a hiatus, with the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival just around the corner.
The Winter Carnival has always been a great way to end the racing season, and provides the local Brisbane trainers, and trainers from the rest of the country to get their final Group 1 success for the season.
The first few feature races of the Winter Carnival have been run and won, and we are inching closer to the first big day of the Winter Carnival. Some of the big events for the Carnival include:
|Sat May 9||Doomben Cup||2000m||Doomben|
|Sat May 9||BTC Cup||1200m||Doomben|
|Sat May 23||Doomben 10,000||1350m||Doomben|
|Sat May 30||Queensland Oaks||2200m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 6||Stradbroke Handicap||1350m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 6||Queensland Derby||2200m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 6||J.J. Atkins Stakes||1600m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 6||Queensland Guineas||1600m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 6||Brisbane Cup||2200m||Doomben|
|Sat Jun 20||Tattersall’s Tiara||1400m||Gold Coast|
Some of the things to be aware of during the Carnival are:
- Eagle Farm is currently undergoing a re-development meaning there are big changes to this year’s Winter Carnival:
- The Stradbroke Handicap, now worth $2 million, has been brought back to 1350m from its original 1400m and will be run at Doomben.
- Both the Queensland Oaks and Queensland Derby are also at Doomben this year, and has been brought back from 2400m to 2200m.
- The J.J. Atkins, Brisbane Cup and Queensland Guineas will also be run at Doomben.
- The Tattersall’s Tiara (Winter Stakes) will now be run at the Gold Coast.